A week ago we flew out of San Francisco. Our trip was interesting, but that small saga can wait. First an update on life at the Learning Village.
Arriving late Wednesday evening, we crashed in our apartment on the compound. Thursday I awoke to roosters crowing and children's voices. The best! After breakfast we started finding our way around and getting ready to work. Iris met with Daniel, the business administrator, and Hareg, one of the founders of the Village. After discussing the vision and sharing a collection of idea pictures, Daniel gave us a tour of the compound. We saw the very first happy room that Iris painted in Ethiopia, greeted some of the students, and ended at the new three-room pre-school/kindergarten building where we are now working.
Iris is a force of nature. Adjusting to time change, high altitude and new surroundings are not enough for one day. In the afternoon, a driver and vehicle were arranged and we went into Addis to purchase paints and groceries.
With a bit of afternoon light, we primed the wall in the lower kindergarten classroom wall. Lavinia and I marked the first arc of the rainbow of the outside wall to complete the day. Darkness came quickly. The electricity was out and because the pump is electric we ran out of running water. We ate cold food by flashlight glow. After supper Lavania cleaned Iris's and my feet using wet wipes followed by scented oil. Wow. I love these women! I crawled into bed jet- lagged, a bit grubby, and very thankful.
troopers you are all
ReplyDelete